Thursday, September 17, 2009

Don't be tardy for the party!

If any of you watch Housewives of Atlanta (and if you don't, omg what the hell - start watching now!), then you'll understand the reference to the title and we can talk about the awesome hot mess horridness of that later.
This weekend I'm throwing Brooklyn's 1st birthday party. Even though her actual day came and went, girl still needs a celebration, right? And, with scheduling conflicts like opening day of dove season (yes, that's my family), and football (priorities people, priorities!), the 19th seemed to work for everyone.

Enter, operation overboard.

Starting with the invitations. Of course I had to custom make them with her sweet face on them, right? Duh. Well, and the Evite thing was out the door because some of my grandparents, etc. will be there, and you ask them to do the whole Evite thing is like asking your pet to send a text message. Say wha?

On to the food and drinks. I simply cannot just go pick up something easy for snacks and order a grocery store birthday cake now can I? No, because I am a freak excited to do this right I will be preparing all the food myself (which I will share post party with pics), and I've decided to go with cupcakes rather than an actual cake. But here's the overdoing details there, I'm having them catered by L's Cupcakes and I have ordered 8 dozen mini cupcakes in 4 different flavors, and one jumbo cupcake for B. It's important to be excessive prepared.
They are so cute and delicate! I'm sure all the men at the party will totally think they're ridiculous awesome.

Drinks. Must have the basics for my friends and family covered. Beer and wine, check.

Now, what to wear?

This was a tough one for me. I'm going for a hot mama look, with a lot of mobility and room for beer drinking when this is all over. Brooklyn has to be the bell of the ball right. So, cute black tutu it is, with a pink monogrammed tank top that is of course, being bedazzled! I can't show you yet because it's still being done, oh, and let's just tell my hubby that it all cost around $20.00, ok? Wink, wink.

Speaking of hubby, he has a little honey-do list himself that I have been constantly occasionally reminding him of:

Mow and trim the yard, including potting two new plants.
Clean back deck.
Move grill.
Order and pick up chairs.
Sweep garage.
Clean coolers.

You know, just a few things.

I've obsessed as to where we will put the presents, what to put on in the background (music or football), where to position the chairs, what time to do the cake, and on and on and on, which is why you all know now why said husband has frequently given me the look of death this week.

I can't explain why I feel the need to launch operation overboard, but it's my baby girl and it suits me. And I like it. And I'm the mom. It's what I do. I'm sure by year 2 and 3 it will be full blown Disney princesses (yawn), The Wiggles (shoot me now!), or Winnie the Pooh (I really hope not!), whatever she wants. But since she's too young to know or care, we're doing what Mama wants.

...and Mama wants, a PARTY.

8 comments:

Juanita said...

uhmmmm excuse me??? Wiggles RULE WOMAN RULE!!! :) The first birthday is quite important so going overboard is expected. Did you take a professional picture of her with a big 1 so you can have posted next to the cake??? Heehee. sorry we can't make it, we have to go root on those awesome baylor bears.

Steph said...

i can't wait to see pictures! i'm just now starting to think about elise's party... give me ideas, please :)

Courtney said...

LOL! And you know what? I gets better as they get older. We are talking about the party where you rent a LIVE horse for rides...yay. Have a blast momma! I have always thought that the first b-day party is more a celebration for the MOM. LOL.

Carrie Burr said...

OMG, I have had "Don't be Tardy for the Party" stuck in my head all night and morning. Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh.............
and my vote is for football in the background. :-)

Life, Love And Lola said...

The party sounds fab! Yum...Cupcakes and wine!!! Can I come?

Kelly said...

Well, today's the 20th... so I hope you are at home resting after the birthday celebration blowout. I'm sure it was fabulous!

JennyMac said...

Wine for adults is essential at kid parties! Cupcakes look great. I hope the party was fantastic.

Sierra said...

Your launch overboard turned out amazing! Good work!